Faculty of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
University of Limerick, Ireland
Postgraduate Funding Opportunities
The Faculty of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences (AHSS) at the University of Limerick, Ireland, is offering a number of Postgraduate Research Fellowships and Postgraduate Fee Awards to MA and PhD candidates.
The Faculty of AHSS is a vibrant, outward-looking faculty that combines intensive research activity with the strongest commitment to high quality undergraduate and postgraduate teaching.
The awards will take effect from September 2019.
|Postgraduate Research Fellowships|
|EICPRF||PhD||1||School of English, Irish and Communication Postgraduate Research Fellowship||Apply|
|SLFPRF||PhD||1||Sheridan Le Fanu Postgraduate Research Fellowship in any area of Gothic or Irish Gothic literature||Apply|
|DSPRF||PhD||1||Department of Sociology Postgraduate Research Fellowship||Apply|
|MLALPRF||PhD||3*||School of Modern Languages and Applied Linguistics Postgraduate Research Fellowship||Apply|
|LAWSCHOL||PhD||3*||The Honourable Mr. Justice John Murray, PhD Fellowship||Apply|
|Postgraduate Fee Awards|
|EICPFA||PhD||1||School of English, Irish and Communication Postgraduate Fee Award||Apply|
|DSPFA||PhD||1||Department of Sociology Postgraduate Fee Awards (x2)||Apply|
|DPPPFA||PhD||1||Department of Politics and Public Administration Postgraduate Fee Award||Apply|
|DPPTMA||MA||1||Department of Politics and Public Administration Taught MA Fee Awards||Apply|
|DHPFA||PhD||1||Department of History Postgraduate Fee Awards (x2)||Apply|
|SLPFA||PhD||3*||School of Law Postgraduate Fee Awards (x2)||Apply|
|IWAMDPFA||PhD||1||Irish World Academy of Music and Dance Postgraduate Fee Awards (x4)||Apply|
|IWAMDCFA||PhD||1||Irish World Academy of Music and Dance Postgraduate Fee Award (Comhaimseartha Award)||Apply|
|AHSSPFA||PhD||1||Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Postgraduate Fee Award (x9)||Apply|
* subject to academic success
Application Criteria – applicable to all awards listed above.
- Applicants should complete the application form and clearly indicate the postgraduate opportunity that they are applying to, using the reference code(s) provided by 5pm Friday 26 April 2019.
- As part of the application, applicants must forward a 2-page pdf CV and 1 academic reference in pdf to Dr Niamh Lenahan, email: email@example.com by 5pm Friday 26 April 2019
- Applications are assessed by academic faculty members within the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences (AHSS) on academic merit.
- Current students must be in good academic standing in order to apply for the Postgraduate opportunities listed above – i.e. they must have passed their most recent progression panel.
- Awards are offered for the 2019/20 academic year – they cannot be deferred.
- Registered students who go on official leave (care leave/ leave of absence) and who are in receipt of a postgraduate fee award/ postgraduate research fellowship should inform their supervisor and the AHSS Assistant Dean, Research (Dr Niamh Nic Ghabhann) to ensure that they can avail of the remainder of their award following their return from leave.
- The application to FAHSS funding opportunities does not constitute an application to the UL Graduate School. All successful applicants will also be required to complete the UL application process and submit to UL Graduate and Professional Studies Office. This application must be approved by Graduate and Professional Studies. Information on completing the application form can be found here.
Closing date: 5pm, Friday 26th April 2019
Finding a supervisor
- List of AHSS faculty research interests and areas of expertise.
- Contact details for individual supervisors.
New applicants are strongly advised to make contact with a prospective supervisor prior to developing an application. If you are unsure about who to contact, you can submit an expression of interest form.
Support for PhD students
Applicants should note that all PhD students within the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences can attend annual workshops designed to support applications to the Irish Research Council and other appropriate funding bodies.